Wooden staircases are by far one of the most stunning attributes to a home. With warm and rich tones lent to each individual step through well-defined wood grains, wooden staircases offer a beauty that possesses individual character. So, it is no wonder why you would want to restore your staircase. Here we have five steps to stair restoration for you to consider.
- One: Start by sanding the riser, threads, edges and corners of each individual step and the balusters with course sandpaper. It is important to remove all the old stain without damaging the hardwood underneath. It is important that you choose the right sandpaper, because if you use sandpaper that is too coarse you may risk damaging the hardwood that is just below the finished surface.
- Two: Sand the entire area of the step and balusters with fine sandpaper. This step will allow you to smooth out any spots left behind during the initial sanding.
- Three: Gently wash the steps and balusters with a mixture of mild soap and water to cleanse the recently sanded area of all dirt particles. Allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Four: Apply the wood stain of your choice by either using a brush or rag depending on your own personal preference. Allow for at least 24 hours of drying time between each coat. Remember, by adding an additional coat it will add a richer and darker appearance.
- Five: Apply the polyurethane varnish using even strokes that go with the wood grain. In order to maximize durability, you may have to add two or three coats of varnish. It is important that you allow for proper drying time, at least 24 hours between each coat.
Your Restore Staircase Team to The Rescue – American Stair & Rail
Baluster and stair restoration sounds easy enough, but through the years of our experience the most important part to the project is paying close attention to the details. Even the slightest abrasions caused by too coarse of sandpaper or even poorly applied layers of stain could ruin a beautiful of wooden staircase.
For three and a half decades our staircase artisans have committed their attention and efforts to every detail during each wooden staircase design project. The best way to ensure exceptional quality is to trust baluster and stair restoration to professionals such as American Stair & Rail Artisans. Call us today at 732-363-3734, for all your stair and baluster design needs.